Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I think we should start seeing other people

Heineken has a heart-to-heart with Publicis. They want -- they need -- better creative thinking for their new Heineken Light. And so they do. In fact, it's going to take a freaking creative Einstein to keep people from noticing the beer tastes just like tap water. But the bottle is elegant.

In other news, brewers may have finally learned the error of their ways: "'People will tell you that beer is not sophisticated enough, or stylish enough, to compete with wine and spirits,' says Tom Long, Miller's chief marketing officer. 'Why do they think that? Well, I believe it's because we told them.'" Mr. Long: I want to shake your hand.

2 comments:

Tony Daniel said...

I remember when I was in high school and the absolute coolest thing in the world was Coors -- because you couldn't get it in the hick state where I grew up. It's "import" was limited by the degradation of the Rocky Mountain Spring water when it crossed certain state lines, we were told. I remember guys driving to Colorado to smuggle Coors back and sell it at a premium. And then...somebody systematically dismantled the legend. And Heineken, when I was in college -- it was sophisticated! Well, if you were a Greek studying to be a lawyer, at least (which I wasn't -- a fact that sustains my belief in a guiding personal God who loves us). The only solution I can see is the beer companies have to buy back their stock, so to speak, and recreate value by simulating scarcity and desirability. If I knew how they could do that, why I'd be in Portland, OR right now arguing for more light rail.

Irene Done said...

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. When I was very -- even painfully -- young, Lowenbrau commercials made that brand seem like the embodiment of grown-up sophistication. How it seemed to actual grown-ups, I cannot say. But I think I can claim with some confidence that many are glad you are not in Portland or presently heaping favorable reviews on DART.

So: "Tonight, let it Lowenbrau."