Friday, November 11, 2005

We blogged him back into our lives

Those "down-home folks from Oregon," the dears, have put aside Kobe Bryant's sexual assault trial and rolled out a new Kobe shoe campaign. Expect Mike Lupica to become a 4'10" spigot of outrage. Still, there's no denying that Kobe has fans: "among male teenagers and young adults -- the primary drivers of Nike's high-priced footwear sales -- Mr. Bryant continues to be a star, according to market research firm Umbria Inc., which tracked 12 million blogs last December for data on popular NBA players." Troublesome bloggers.

6 comments:

SuzanH said...

I still don't understand the purpose of famous people shilling for something (I know, heresy!). I have not once thought, You know what? I NEED to use AOL because Julia Roberts is so awesome (granted, I don't like either one, but you get my point, right?).

Tony Daniel said...

I'm lusting after a pair of Larry Mahan cowboy boots because Cormac McCarthy's main character wore them in his last book, No Country for Old Men. Maybe there's a market for nano-endorsements out there...

Irene Done said...

Suzan -- Must you bring logic into this? Also, "shilling" is such an ugly word. In the future, please try to refer my chosen field as "pimping for the man." I do have feelings after all.

darkcoffee -- This brings up the question: will that character still wear Larry Mahans in the movie? Or will Luchese pay a handsome product placement fee and ruin it all for readers everywhere?

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with being 4'10"?

And, on an unrelated note, why is it that comment verification words always somehow look and sound out a little dirty? I just typed cmesuk.

SuzanH said...

Irene, I apologize for offending your sensibilities.

You may bitch slap me at your convenience.

Irene Done said...

There's nothing wrong with being 4'10"! There's nothing wrong with offending my sensibilities! And if Blogger wants to have a little fun with verification among consenting adults, there's nothing wrong with that either!