Friday, April 13, 2007

It's nice to see Drew Barrymore finally get a break

CoverGirl has named their latest celebrity endorser and there's a special bonus in the deal: "In a first for the Proctor & Gamble-owned brand, a cover girl will go behind the camera to direct the commercial, a first for the child star, as well."

You know me. I'd love to make fun of this somehow. The truth is, though, I admire CoverGirl. They seem to choose women who are as interesting as they are beautiful, including Christie Brinkley (50 and cheated on = interesting) and my all-time personal favorite Queen Latifah. I just don't know if I admire Drew Barrymore. What with the drugs, the Playboy photos, the David Letterman-flashing, and the hot lesbian sex with Jane Pratt -- well, you wouldn't have always assumed she was headed for a partnership with P&G. But there she is, complete with a glowing news account that focuses on her United Nations volunteer work. So she wins. She gets to define herself. And direct. I guess I do admire that.

5 comments:

James-H said...

We all like to see the occasional celebrity get chewed up in the press and eventually rise, phoenix-like, from the ashes.

Too bad she had to do Boys on the Side.
Whoopi Goldberg?? Dude, C'mon!

Irene Done said...

See, I pretty much just like the getting-chewed-up-in-the-press part. It gives me a sense of moral superiority while completely taking my mind off things like my own professional and personal shortcomings.

Anonymous said...

I defined myself once. It hurt.

Irene Done said...

No doubt about it. Self-definition should be left to the very limber.

James-H said...

"It gives me a sense of moral superiority while completely taking my mind off things like my own professional and personal shortcomings."

So wait... Was that self-definition or chewing one's own self up in the press?