Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Mice, vision and amusement

Roy Disney turns up the heat on Disney's board to find a replacement (fast!) for the human meltdown that is Michael Eisner. I admire Roy Disney who's fighting for the soul -- and the future -- of his uncle's company.

Literally just the other day, I was at Walt Disney World and visited One Man's Dream, a multi-media history lesson about Walt Disney's career. Even though he appears in part of it, Eisner is probably unaware of how damning the presentation is for him personally, for in every way his record at Disney divurges from the philosophy and path of Walt. Much of Disney's approach to his business -- the technical innovation, the drive to train and educate a new class of animators, the desire for entertainment that would be meaningful for both children and adults -- has been abandoned. I know I've said it before, but Pixar seems to be Disney's true heirs. I now believe that more strongly after re-reading this and even this. And I'm unimpressed with Disney's just-announced attempt to build its own version of Pixar.

The thing is, I don't consider myself a Disney devotee nor even a fan of animation. But I am a fan of companies that remain true to their original vision. It's difficult. So let's wish Roy Disney good luck and "a magical day."

No comments: