Sunday, January 20, 2008

Good questions

Steve Portigal was the victim of a phishing scam and now his flickr account has been deleted. All of it. "5000 photos are gone....all the people I’ve linked to are gone (I’ve spent a few hours trying to reconnect with those I can remember). Anyone who watched my photos via their contacts has lost me (and I’ve lost much of my audience)." On and on.

And here's the thing: "the whole social media movement that we can’t ever stop hearing about is asking us to contribute content to their websites; we’re building the value for them. YouTube wouldn’t sell for $1.65 billion without our videos. Flickr has our photos. LiveJournal has our stories and pictures. But is it ours? Do we know who owns it?....if the data is on someone else’s site, how can I keep a copy of it?"

No comments: