Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Waterford isn't made in Waterford? What?

I thought they made everything there in Ireland but now I feel a little less bad that they filed for bankruptcy: "Much of the business has now shifted offshore, where it employs 5,800 people, including 1,500 people at a plant in Jakarta, Indonesia....The majority of its crystal production has been handed to Eastern European subcontractors." Still sad. Only maybe the brand -- look, if stuff was being made in Indonesia, it's about as good as something you'd pick up at Target -- had already been devalued.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Waterford crystal is the process of manufacture rather than the place of manufacture - I think they use lead in the process although I am not an expert.

I always thought Waterford crystal was made in Kings Lynn in Norfolk.

Irene Done said...

I'm kinda murky on this too but my impression was that Waterford was originally made in Waterford, Ireland, and that their manufacturing facilities have been there since the mid-1850s. Isn't the Waterford factory/headquarters a huge tourist attraction? There seemed to be a real romance to their history. (Everyone still makes a big deal about the giant new years ball in Times Square -- because it's Waterford.)

By the way, I had a good laugh at your question from the other day: "have you noticed when prices are heavily discounted to about a third of their value you find yourself saying: well that's about what it's worth." Yes. Exactly.

Suniverse said...

Oh! I read about this yesterday. What the hell? No more Waterford/Wedgewood/Royal Daulton? What am I supposed to use to feed my cats?

Seriously, it's plenty bad, but I have to wonder how they managed to stay in business for so long and then, suddenly, after outsourcing for cheaper labor and ... I guess I don't have to wonder.

I may hit Macy's and splurge.

Irene Done said...

Splurge! Or at least buy another goblet for the cats. Maybe you can even start talking like Lauren Bacall. That'd be fun!