Tuesday, May 31, 2005

They threw the book at me

The high, holy Caffeine Goddess has tagged me for true book confession hour. This could be embarrassing. I'm a watcher, not a reader.

Total number of books owned: about 300 -- 400 if you count cookbooks.

The last book I bought: Disney Wars by James Stewart.

The last book I read: Luke. OK. I know. Technically, it's part of a much larger book but I don't read that much and it WAS on paper. Work with me.

5 books that mean a lot to me: Cry Me A River by T.R. Pearson. I didn't know people could still get away with writing like that. Wow. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, which should be required reading for every young person. I mean it. Jane is a smart, self-respecting, hard-working little witch who kicks ass. Love her. You Know Me Al by Ring Lardner. Genius. Betty Baxter Anderson's Nancy Blake, Copywriter, the heartwarming tale of a girl who sacrifices her college money for a polio-stricken little sister, saves her country from Nazi spies and writes darned good ads! My copy belonged to my Aunt Jean and I'm not making this up. Finally, American Tabloid by James Ellroy. It's just so damn macho.

5 people now tagged: SuzanH at My Sad Little World, Will Clarke, Chris Gloede at Rants On Modern Marketing, Marketing Diva and Barb'ra B. Dunnem at Steeplechaser. I woulda tagged this guy but he looked too busy.

3 comments:

SuzanH said...

Oooh, goody. Blogging about books!

And the Cambodian ruler blogging--too awesome.

Irene Done said...

I'm really looking forward to your answers. It seemed like a topic perfectly suited to you.

Anonymous said...

How many books: I can't even begin to count. I have had to make room in kitchen cabinets to store them though. But considering I always eat out, it's not as big of a hardship as it sounds.

The last book I bought was FREAKONOMICS.

The last book I read was A MILLION LITTLE PIECES by James Frey. It was jagged and amazing.

5 books that mean a lot to me:

1) A CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES by John Kennedy Toole. Funniest book ever writen.

2) A HEARTBREAKING WORK OF STAGGERING GENIUS by Dave Eggers. The title is not an over-promise.

3) THE COMEDY WRITER by Peter Farrelly. The guy who brought us "Something About Mary" writes a touching and sort of sleezy tale of life in L.A.

4) THE ALCHEMIST by Paulo Coelho
Mythic and timless story about following your dream.

5) The PROPHET by Kahlil Gibran Poetic and astonishingly wise.